New York Water Law
Lake and clouds
      Blog Home      Index of Posts      About the NYS DEC      About the DRBC      About the SRBC

January 10, 2011

NY Water Law Blog Launched

I have started this website and blog as a resource for citizens and lawyers studying water law issues in New York. Greater understanding of New York's laws governing water usage and protection from water contamination is needed as we evaluate the water impacts that may result from increased gas drilling activities in New York and adjacent states.

The scope and adequacy of New York's existing water laws are under debate. Proposed regulatory changes currently under consideration by the NYS Department of Enviornmental Conservation (DEC) would permit gas well drilling companies to use the techniques of horizontal drilling and high-volume hydraulic fracturing to increase gas production. See Draft Supplemental Generic Environmental Impact Statement on the Oil, Gas and Solution Mining Regulatory Program, Well Permit Issuance for Horizontal Drilling And High-Volume Hydraulic Fracturing to Develop the Marcellus Shale and Other Low-Permeability Gas Reservoirs. If these techniques are permitted, billions of gallons of the state's fresh water will be used by gas drilling companies for hydraulic fracturing (hydro-fracking) of gas wells at a time when fresh water is becoming an increasingly scarce commodity in the United States and the world.

Gas drilling is certainly not the only source of demand for New York's water. According to the DEC website, more than 15 billion gallons of water are withdrawn each day from the lakes, rivers, streams, estuaries and groundwaters of New York for uses that include domestic consumption, industrial use, irrigation and livestock watering, mining and thermoelectric power generation. Thermoelectric power is by far the most significant of all water use categories in the state, accounting for nearly 80% of total water withdrawn. Public water supply accounts for nearly 17%. About two-thirds of the total water withdrawn is fresh water. The other third is taken from saline waters and is used primarily for thermoelectric power generation. Surface water withdrawals account for nearly 94% of all freshwater withdrawals in New York State, the remaining 6% of withdrawals are taken from groundwater sources. See the DEC webpage on Water Use in New York.

In the 2010 legislative session, Governor Patterson offered Governor's Program Bill #51 to require large water users to obtain permits from the DEC. The bill was introduced in the the New York senate as S8280 and passed in 2010. The companion bill, A11436B, in the assembly did not come to the floor for a vote. Similar legislation is expected to be introduced in 2011.

Posted by Rachel Treichler at 01/10/11 09:52 AM

 

 

Copyright 2013, Rachel Treichler

 

   


About NY Water Law

New York Water Law covers legal developments relating to water in New York and in jurisdictions that may be influential in New York. The author, Rachel Treichler, practices law in the Finger Lakes region.
Contact the Author
Law Office of Rachel Treichler

Search NY Water Law

Enter search terms:
Click to read our RSS feed
Enter email address to receive notices of new content delivered by FeedBurner:

Index of Posts

Index of Posts by Month

Water Law Links

Acequias and Adjudication
Aguanomics
American Water Resources
AquaLog
Arizona Waterblogged
Bluedaze Blog
CELP
Circle of Blue
Coyote Gulch
Croton Watershed Coalition
E&E Law Monitor
Elizabeth Royte Notes
ESA Blawg
Great Lakes Law Blog
Great Lakes on the Ground
Green Blawg
International Water Law Blog
Lake Scientist
Lakeside Views
Law of the Land Blog
Legal Planet
Marcellus Effect Blog
NRDC Switchboard
NY Water Resources Institute
Oklahoma Water Law
Ohio Environ. Law Blog
Pace GreenLaw
Rancho Los Malulos
Steven Solomon's Water Blog
SPR Environmental Law Blog
The Reef Tank
Thirsty in Suburbia
NYT Toxic Waters Series
Water Law Blog
Water Sustainability Project
Water Wiki
Watercrunch
Watering the Desert
Watershed Post
WaterWired
WesternWaterBlog

 

[Valid RSS]
















This blog is published for educational purposes only. The matters discussed in the blog are general
in nature and are incomplete descriptions of the law. Nothing in this blog constitutes legal advice or an offer of legal advice.
You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem.